Friday 28 March 2014

Moon Games Logo

This was the only logo for which I did not make an initial sketch, because I felt like working with simple curves and swirls and hence this could be easily made directly with photoshop.

Here is the first version I made.



With this version, I made a simple curve path which I then added a brush stroke along. This was the 'glow' or 'sheen' of the moon. Copying the path shape, I simply completed the same path to make an elipse shape that I added a gradient to, using a deep blue colour fading to white. The font I used was Broadway, which was already installed on the system.
I like this version a lot. I think it gives a very simplistic feel similar to photos of where the sun just peeks over the edges of the earth and lights it up. The logo could also work in print and black and white as there isn't much fine detail.

The look of the logo made me want to try using a real image of the moon. Here is the next version I made.


This was the only logo where I superimposed my other shapes onto an actual photograph. The image of the moon, "Moon Shadow" was taken from www.freerangestock.com and is not subject to copyright. The original artist is Beverly Omalley.
Using the blur and sharpen tools, and alternating between the 'darken' and 'lighten' settings,  I enhanced the image by blurring the outer edge and clearing up the features on the surface. Then I superimposed the company name from before and gave it a drop shadow as well as emboss effect to set it off from the background. I created a 'swish' which I filled with a lilac colour. Then I reduced the layer transparency to 30%. Then I found a four-point star online and used it to make a custom brush, with which I added stars onto the 'swish' (on a new layer). This was to make it look like glittering moondust.
I really like the look of the image, but I'm not sure if it would work as well as a logo as the previous version. This is because of the fine detail on the moon as well as the smaller stars in the moondust. However, in electronic format I would consider that this version was the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment