Friday 4 April 2014

Concept Art

I created some concept art for a character and costume designs for the game idea 'aValon'.

Here is the final work.


The character was drawn quite simply and the line art filled with block colours. As the deadline was looming, detail was kept quite minimal. However, due to the simple 'Chibi' style of the character I felt that the colouring technique actually complemented the style quite well.
In the future I would like to try adding shadows and highlights, however I could see the game being built around this sort of style. Possibly the characters could be drawn in this most simplistic style, while environments could have a greater level of detail, possibly with artwork resembling that of Yoshi's Island.

If I had the chance to take the project further, I would want to try adding shading to create depth to the character as well as varying costume designs and colours. I would want to create 4 categories of character much like in many RPG fighter games, which are 'Mage' 'Warrior' 'Thief' and 'Monster'. The Mage would be adept at magic mainly, Warriors could use a large array of weapons, Thieves would have low-damage move-sets which would cause various status ailments and special effects and Monsters would be able to summon creatures and be good a unarmed combat. I would also like to tinker with character designs for sort of 'evolutions' of each character similar to the Final Fantasy I mechanic.

Overall I feel the character design is fit for purpose as it is because it does communicate the idea of the costume design, however there are a lot of graphic improvements I'd like to try with the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment